Hostel Life

As a teacher of English I've been passionate about other cultures, languages, countries. On the top of that, I also knew that as an English teacher in Brazil it'd take a while in order to save money enough to travel.
However I strongly encourage everyone who has a wanderlust soul to a research and find different ways to reach your goal to visit every country!
And that's why I think hostels are such a good deal. Not only you can have a taste of a multicultural community but you can also practice the languages you are learning, make friends and have the time of your life.
I worked as a volunteer in the ITH (International Travelers House) hostel in San Diego in 2017 and it was one of the most incredible experiences in my life.

I know many of you really want to travel however we can't afford it. For this reason I'd like to talk about 2 platforms I used back in 2017 in my #90daysofwander:

    ITH Hostel, Ocean Beach, San Diego, 2017.

◈ You don't need to be fluent in English 
◈ You can find opportunities where  A2 (Basic) level of proficiency is accepted or look for opportunities in Spanish speaking countries
◈ Find a country which meets with your financial possibilities
◈ Enjoy this opportunity to improve or learn skills

Worldpackers:

Both platforms are used for exchange and volunteering work. I used this one to get a job as a volunteer teacher in a kindergarten in Budapest, Hungary. The main difference between them is on Worldpackers you pay for each job and on Workaway you pay a annual fee.

Worldpackers works similar to Facebook or Linkedin in a way. Because you are going to make a profile, on your profile you can write your experiences and what you'd like to learn and work with. Then, you can look for opportunities around the globe and also in Brazil. Every opportunity has requirements of languages, age, work hours, accommodation, meals included.

In my case, I went to Hungary, I wanted to improve my teaching skills and also learn new skills. I went to a English Hungarian kindergarten and it was my first experience teaching kids from 2 to 7 years old and consequently I was immersed in a new culture and language. Budapest is amazing (!!!) and not expensive at all compared to some places in Europe. 

Workaway:

On Workaway there are 2 types of fees, an individual one or a couple one. You don't really need to be a couple you can do it with a friend. I thought this one was better at the end because I paid U$29 for a annual fee. I worked in a Hostel in San Diego through this platform. I applied for many hostels around Los Angeles and San Diego, and I got a placement in 3 days. 

When I went to US I wasn't into teaching there and I wanted an opportunity to meet people from all over the world. I was fortunate to find the ITH Hostel. San Diego is definitely the place to be in California, I went to Tijuana 3 times when I was there. The hostel environment is amazing and I could practice English everyday with many people with different accents. 

I recommend this one specially if you want to travel for a longer period. 


I hope you find this post useful! 

XOXO
Wanderlust Soul 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2019 Resolutions

- Start your learning journey -

Listening Practice